Banner pictures

Banner pictures

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

her Chinese name

I was very lucky to speak with several of my colleagues from China today. I learned a lot about her name and now understand that both parts of her given name, Xiao Hong, are important. The translation is a little up in the air since what we got from the agency does not make sense to my Chinese-speaking friends but it can be:
little red
little rainbow
moon at dawn

We'll resolve this eventually but the funny part was when I mentioned that we would use Xiao as her middle name, following our American name for her, Emerson. I got a very puzzled look and then learned that Xiao is a common "space filler" in names - and that makes sense since so many of the babies we see have Xiao in their name. So we have decided that her name will be Emerson Xiao Hong Utley. A little long, but the best way to preserve her heritage in her name. And, I think it's a beautiful mouthful. Guess "Ruth" is definitely out now.

3 comments:

  1. Your daughter lives just a few miles from where my daughter used to live, in Yangdong SWI.

    Our girl has Xiao in her name too. She was Dong, Xiao Tong (morning redness or morning sunset)... so we called her Lilah Grace Xiao Tong!

    Anyway, I wanted to say I am so happy for you and your daughter is beautiful. Congratulations!

    Jill

    PS - Come join us on the Yangdong/Yangxi SWI Yahoo Group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi love the blog and the pics also really touching.She is adorable but even better in person

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW~ It's Taylor (your niece)

    Ps~BTW= by the way

    ReplyDelete