Banner pictures

Banner pictures

Monday, December 27, 2010

My final week: Monday & a whiney girl

With one week left before I return to work, this will be a week of Emerson updates.

Our happy, quiet, peaceful baby has turned sleepless and whiney in the last few days.  I can speculate a million reasons why.  Over-stimulation from 4 days of Christmas activity is a favorite, but right now, my money is on giardia.  This is a common issue and especially with babies from her Yangxi orphanage.  She was diagnosed and treated in November but we never tested to make sure the treatment  worked.  Some slight symptoms have reappeared but her general unhappiness has me convinced today.  We are now armed with a "specimen container" and will carry a little "specimen" to the lab tomorrow for another test. 

As for the symptoms... the whiney I can handle.  I don't mind holding her all day long if it makes her happy and it generally does.  Sleepless is a problem.  She has been a great night sleeper since we got her: 10-12 hours a night with rare interruptions (daytime naps not so much).  Last night, she woke up every 2 hours and had to be rocked back to sleep.  At 2am (the beginning of my shift) she decided that she was done with her crib and only wanted to sleep on me.  We went to the guest room and slept there together.  Neither of us slept well and I do worry about starting habits that will be hard to break but ... oh, so sweet.

We probably looked a little like this, taken on Christmas day when she fell asleep for a poorly timed nap : just before we left for our 2-hour drive to East Texas:

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby-hope that the "specimen" proves to be the problem so that it can be treated.

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete